Intradistrict and Interdistrict Transfers
INTRADISTRICT TRANSFERS (Transfer to a School Within the District of Residence)
- A completed Intradistrict Form must be submitted for each child living in the Sylvan District who would like to attend another school within the district. Forms are available at the school site or at the link below. Open enrollment begins the first business day in December and ends the last business day in February and completed forms must be returned by the last Friday in February to the school of residence.
- In cases where there are more requests to attend a school than there are openings, the selection process is “random and unbiased” through a lottery process. The Superintendent or designee shall determine the capacity of each District school.
- The Board of Trustees retains the authority to maintain appropriate racial and ethnic balances, as determined by the Board of Trustees, among District schools.
- Transportation is not provided for a student who transfers to another school in the district under these provisions.
- If a transfer request is denied, a parent/guardian does not have an automatic right to appeal the decision.
- Approval will be contingent on space availability.
INTRADISTRICT ATTENDANCE INFORMATION FOR 2023-2024 SCHOOL YEAR
INFORMATION AND INSTRUCTIONS FOR INTRADISTRICT ATTENDANCE APPLICATIONS:
A completed application must be submitted for a child who wishes to attend a District school ("school requesting") other than the school in the attendance area of residence. A separate application must be submitted for each child. The application is valid for the SCHOOL Requesting only and will not transfer to middle school for elementary students. The District will attempt to honor all requests; however, pupils who currently reside in a school's attendance area have first priority to attend that school. In addition, the District retains the authority to maintain appropriate racial and ethnic balances among District Schools, as determined by the Board of Trustees.
The District will establish a capacity for each school. If granting the number of requests to attend a school would exceed the capacity of that school, intradistrict attendance requests will be selected in random order and may be granted until the capacity is reached.
Pupils attending a special program such as GATE/self-contained (does not include GATE pull-out program) and other special education classes do not need to apply. However, if brothers and/or sisters of children in these special programs wish to attend the same school, applications must be completed for those siblings. Completion and submission DOES NOT guarantee that the request will be granted.
Pursuant to Board Policy 5116.1, students with a current “Approved Intra-District Attendance Agreement” will no longer be required to reapply each year. The approval will automatically renew at the beginning of each school year with the exception of students matriculating up to a new school placement (i.e. TK to K or 5th to 6th grade). Students with a current “Approved Intra-District Attendance Agreement” based on an “Administrative Placement” must re-apply during the next Open Enrollment period (December 1, 2022 through February 28, 2023).
Students who do not have an approved Intra-District Attendance Application or students, who wish to change their “School of Request'' outside of their attendance area, must complete and turn in to their school, an Intradistrict Attendance Application for the 2023-2024 school year before February 28, 2023. The requests will be selected in random order and may be granted until the capacity is reached.
Transportation to and from school for students attending a school outside of their resident attendance area will not be provided. Transportation will be the responsibility of the parent.
If your child is on an Overflow List from your school of residence and is approved for an intradistrict transfer, your child’s name will be removed from the Overflow List. Transportation is the responsibility of the parent.
APPLICATIONS FOR INTRADISTRICT ATTENDANCE ARE AVAILABLE IN EACH SCHOOL OFFICE.
INTERDISTRICT TRANSFERS (Transfer to a District Outside of the District of Residence)
Education Code 46600 allows two or more districts to enter into an agreement for the transfer of one or more students for a period of up to five years. Requests for an Interdistrict Transfer must be initiated at the District of Residence.
Interdistrict agreements are subject to annual review. Sylvan Union School District reserves the right to enroll students in the school or program where space is available. Interdistrict agreements may be revoked at any time that a pupil does not maintain acceptable standards of attendance, behavior, and/or if the pupil fails to maintain acceptable levels of academic achievement. Approval will also be contingent upon space availability.
If either district denies a transfer request, a parent/guardian may appeal the decision. Students who are under consideration for expulsion or who have been expelled may not appeal Interdistrict denials or decisions while expulsion proceedings are pending, or during the term of the expulsion.
NOTE: Transportation will not be provided for a student who transfers into the district on an Interdistrict Agreement.
You may access the Interdistrict Transfer Form by clicking the links below. Please download, print and return BOTH forms to the District Office for approval.